Friday, October 5, 2007

A Hard Day

Writing can be therapeutic. You can write your thoughts down and not a person interrupts or tells you that you should or shouldn't be saying this or that...at least, until they read it.

Today Sammy was going to update, but I need the therapy myself.

Arriving at work today we got the news that one of our students, in 11th grade, had committed suicide. The whole day has been in a dark fog since. To add to that, it actually is foggy outside, adding to the overall feeling. We have a school full of counselors, and they have been busy.

Words cannot describe the atmosphere.

This is our homecoming week. We have had a good week, lots of students participating, a fun week. Today is the homecoming game, and parade. In these kind of circumstances they like to try to have "normal".

It affects everyone differently, but brings up feelings to many of us who have lost loved ones or friends to suicide. The questions all come rushing back of why, why, why. We had another student suicide here at the school since I've worked here. And, I (among many) lost a good friend to suicide a while back as well. It still hurts deeply. There is no closure, ever. There is no "goodbye".

I am sorry this post is so unhappy, but thanks for listening.

2 Comments:

Valley Girl said...

Oh my, I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't know how I would deal with something like that.

I use my blog as kind of therapy, too. As one of my "blog" friends says, its cheaper than hiring a therapist!

Joanie said...

Thanks for your comment! It helps to write, as you know...