Saturday, April 19, 2008

What I Learned This WEEKEND....

Being a HGTV addict, I had it going all day on Friday during my "spring break" in which I was spring cleaning, touching up paint, painting a door, putting together a cabinet, etc. One show that was on was "25 Biggest Decorating Mistakes". My 18 year old daughter decided I would never be helping her decorate as I seem to flunk decorating skills 101.

#25: Toilet Rugs
Ok...here they are talking about the contour rugs in front of the toilet...sorry, I do have one. I like it. I do wash it weekly, vacuum a couple times a week and replace as necessary. But, NOOO, this is a no-no. Especially to germ-a-phobes, of which I seem to be becoming, and now I am worrying about the rug?????

#24: Too Many Photos

Guilty, guilty guilty...I even go a step further by not taking down photos of ex-husbands and wives or ex-boyfriends, etc. I really need to do that...one of these days....yikes!
Luckily, we have no foyer. So I get a good mark on this one, right?

#22: Undressed Cables
I try to hide cables and wires. Don't you?

#21: Out-of-Place Themes
Not sure if I have a theme or not...but I didn't really have like a sponge bob theme or anything like that, so maybe I'm ok on this one?

#19: Lopsided Furniture Arrangements

Sometimes, you can only arrange things a certain way...am I right???

#18: Keeping Something You Hate

Oops...guilty, guilty.

#17: Too Formal

I'm ok here, no formality in my house.

#16: Uncomfortable Dining Chairs

Well, they are antique and wooden, maybe not too comfy...not sure...

#15: Lack of Traffic Pattern
I really don't have a choice of a traffic lane in my house.

#14: Everything Matches
Here they were talking about like buying those "bed in a bag" sets....oops, done that, at least twice. I thought it looked nice to have it all match. Guess I was wrong???

#13: Following Fads

I'm ok here, I think.

#12: Furniture That Doesn’t Fit
Hey, have to use what you have, don't you???

#11: Too Many Colors or Patterns
I kinda think I have muted colors that blend. Well, maybe...
I dont' have many rugs. Except, of course, the germ filled toilet rug above....

#9: Improper Lighting
Are you talking about the lamp I have standing that doesn't even work?

#8: Frames Hung Too High
I do think I have my many many pictures at the right level. Apparently, I just have too many?

#7: Tacky Couch Covers
Safe here, no plastic covers or anything else. You know, the kind Marie had on "Everybody loves Raymond"?

#6: Pushed–Back Furniture
Well, I don't have room to put mine out in the middle...DO YOU???

#5: Ignoring Windows
I want new window coverings...I do...

I have no fear, I just don't want to go real crazy. I use colors, and a variety, but muted and blended. OK, that is not really out there, but not really a total failure..right?

UH OH

#2: Too Many Pillows
You mean like the six on the guest bed?

Ok, now I really protest. They don't like even fake plants. I am really thinking that my silk plants look nice. I just washed them all even. And, they really look a lot better than all the dead ones I used to have when I tried to own and grow real ones.

And, while we're on the subject, this is my favorite HGTV star...isn't he too cute?
Here's his bio:
Click here to view a larger image.

David Bromstad, host of Color Splash.
David Bromstad, the season one winner of HGTV Design Star, is known for his endless energy and out-of-the-box thinking. Bromstad began his career as a design student at the Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Fla. Earnest, passionate, talented and innovative, Bromstad creates awe-inspiring works on many platforms, including custom art, furniture building and interior design.

Bromstad says he "blends styles that incorporate realism and fantasy." He combines this approach with a love of color and practical advice that shows how to transform tired rooms into unique, vibrant spaces.

He currently resides in Miami, Fla.



2 Comments:

Mental P Mama said...

David would be a nice accessory. No?

Tina said...

Are you saying that your entire Wizard of Oz room is not a "theme" room?? I think you failed that one, mamma!