Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Hometown Church

I have been wanting to write a post about my home town church, as i mentioned in a recent post. Whenever we get to our home town, I try to attend. It is the church I've known almost my whole life. It is the church I joined as a young teen. I even used to sing in the choir.

When I attend church there, I feel "at home". I so enjoy seeing so many of the familiar faces from my childhood. I miss the ones that are no longer there, and remember them with great fondness.

There is something about it that makes me feel welcome and embraced. I always feel loved, like I belong.

Don't get me wrong, I belong to a church where I live--have for about 30 some years now, and do love my church. It is beautiful, the people are good, and I feel like I belong. I tried to share some of the beauty of this church as well with you in photos I posted on this blog.

I remember many churches growing up. One of my favorite memories that repeats in my mind is of driving in a car with my grandparents to their little church. I remember sitting in the BIG back seat of their car with Grandma on the way to church. She carried a black purse that snapped shut. And there was always a package of gum in it...I specifically remember Beamans gum. Then, we'd get to their little EUB church and worship. And, sign the old favorite hymns. Later, they attended a church in their little town, instead of traveling to that one. I attended there with them at times as well, including attending bible school there a couple summers, if I remember right.

But, that was still not my "home town church". It is hard to explain. But, the church is not a building, it is a community. It is the memories within you and that community. It is the love that you share for God and each other. And, I cherish that community and I always will. I thank them so much for letting me continue to be a part of them every opportunity that I can take.

You can link to my home town church, but some of the links within their site are not working right now, as they recently updated there site...I am sure they will be working soon.

1 Comments:

Mental P Mama said...

There really is nothing quite like your home town church. I miss mine so much. But I have been really blessed to find one here in Connecticut that is amazing.